Health Benefits of Coconut Oil for Your Dog
Consider the health benefits of adding Coconut Oil to your dog’s nutrition and care.
In last week’s commentary I suggested considering the use of Coconut Oil, instead of using antibiotics for your pet. Coconut Oil is full of triglycerides, it has the ability to kill harmful bacteria, and bacteria causing diarrhea.
This week, I would like to continue that topic and give you a list of benefits of using Coconut Oil.
When feeding Coconut oil as a supplement to your dog’s nutrition or meal, it does the following:
- Aids in digestion, nutrition absorption and supports the immune system.
- Defends against IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) and colitis.
- Prevents and helps treat yeast infections, through its anti-viral properties.
- Facilitates recovery from Kennel Cough.
- Improves doggie odor and bad breath.
- Helps prevent Diabetes by balancing insulin.
- Helps prevent Heart Disease.
- Assists in weight reduction as well as increased energy. This is also beneficial for recovery after a surgery.
- Increases mobility and prevents arthritis.
- Relieves or prevents the symptoms of dementia.
- Alleviates allergy symptoms
When introducing anything new to our pets it should be done in very small doses and increased gradually.
Integrative Veterinarian and Naturopathic Doctor, Dr. Karen Becker, recommends 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of body weight twice daily.
For those of us that need help with the math:
¼ teaspoon 10 pounds body weight
½ teaspoon 20 pounds body weight
¾ teaspoon 30 pounds body weight
1 teaspoon 40 pounds body weight
If you need help beyond that – contact me or use your calculator.
When used as a topical supplement it can:
- Be used on wounds, cuts, cracked or rough pads.
- Be used as an after bath moisturizer, leaving skin and coat shinny and soft. (Rinse as you would with normal moisturizer.)
- Repel fleas and ticks.
- Assist in clearing up itchy dry skin, and conditions like eczema or dermatitis.
- Bring relief to insect bites and stings.
These are just a few of the benefits of using Coconut Oil.